TN 24 - Norðlýsið is located here
Feel free to visit the office for personal guidance
The ship was the second that was built in the shipyard in Tórshavn and is the only remaining wooden sailship, built on the Faroe Island. The constructor and builder was the founder of the shipyard: Mr. Kjartan Mohr, a pillar of the community. The material is canadian oak which is considered the best material for wooden sailships. They started in 1943 and the ship was delivered to the first owner on the 5th of may 1945. The same day that the second word war ended.
After 39 years in the faroese fishing industry the ship was taken over by the famous faroese artist Tróndur Pætursson. The ship was restored and rigged as a scooner. Tróndur Pæturson considers the Norðlýsið one of his best works of art.
The ship has been in tourism under the famous captain, gourmet chef and storyteller Birgir Enni until 2019 when he retired. We are proud to continue the job.
Before the 2020 season the ship was repaired and renovated and major updates were made to the facilities available to our guests.
The name is faroese for "The nordic light".